Middle School Math & Science Teacher (Grades 7 & 8)
Santa Fe School for the Arts & Sciences, an expeditionary learning school, is seeking an innovative, dynamic, collaborative middle school teacher with a strong background in teaching Science and mathematics.
The middle school program is in the midst of an exciting evolution as we consider options for integrated teaching and learning in science and math. The middle school science program engages students with a hands-on curriculum that is grounded in real-world scientific examples. Students receive a solid foundation in the scientific disciplines of chemistry, physics and biology. Our mathematics program engages students in Pre-Algebra and Algebra, through lectures, dynamic group work, and rich problem solving.
The exceptional middle school teacher has a strong understanding of best practices in teaching and working with adolescents. A deep understanding of middle school philosophy and a commitment to the academic and social/emotional growth of students is essential.
The successful candidate will understand the developmental needs of adolescents (ages 12-14) and combine their knowledge of Mathematics and Science with humor, energy, and a desire to inspire middle school students, and model and promote the school's character traits of compassion, courage, respect, trust, honesty and stewardship. Additionally, the successful candidate must be flexible and an excellent communicator and collaborator.
Other important aspects of the position include:
- Teaming with colleagues to help further differentiate instruction, focusing on challenging, enriching, and supporting a diverse group of learners
- Acting as a caring and committed Crew teacher and Advisor
About Our School
Santa Fe School for the Arts & Sciences is committed to educational excellence, seeking to develop students who are recognized for superb academic performance and for their ability to work creatively with others to recognize and solve problems. Arts & Sciences students are compassionate, creative, and contributing members of the local community who exemplify the EL Education ideal of citizen scholars.
Located in the high desert mountains of Santa Fe, NM, Santa Fe School for the Arts & Sciences is well connected to our surrounding community and environment. Santa Fe is rich in its diversity, culture, and history, which provides many opportunities for students to build relationships with experts and organizations outside of our school. Our campus has many opportunities for outdoor learning and constant collaboration among age groups and faculty.
Our teaching community is diverse in their tenure with the school; many have been here for many years, while others have recently joined Arts & Sciences. All teachers are committed to helping every student pursue their passion while honoring everyone's learning style. Teachers are empowered to create and revise the curriculum to implement best practices and grow in our craft. Our interdisciplinary learning expeditions, professional development and collaboration as a team, make learning a joyful and powerful experience at Arts & Sciences.
Qualifications and Attributes
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Science, Math Education, or related content area, or related field
- We will consider applicants with licensure in K-6 or K-8 or with secondary endorsements in math or science
- Experience teaching middle school science courses including Life Science, Earth Science, and Physical Science
- Experience with STEAM/STEM curriculum and/or involvement with extra-curricular STEAM/STEM activities a huge plus
- Experience teaching middle school students Pre-Algebra, Algebra I, Geometry & Algebra II
- Have a deep passion for science and mathematics
- Understanding of learning styles and differentiated instruction
- Ability to design hands-on, experiential learning activities that advance learning and present real-life opportunities
- Ability to work with technology to support, supplement and enhance teaching and learning
- Affinity and enthusiasm for working with adolescents
- Excellent communication skills
- Capacity to inspire others
- Strong work ethic
- Willingness to learn and improve professionally
- Sound judgment and emotional maturity
- Ability to collaborate and work with a team
- Willingness to engage in all aspects of the Arts & Sciences community
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop curriculum and activities that align with the school's academic standards, mission, and vision
- Create, maintain and promote a safe, nurturing learning environment that responds to students' academic, social, and emotional growth
- Maintain and communicate high academic and personal expectations for all students
- Incorporate direct instruction, discussion, projects, and cooperative work to engage all students, keep classes focused, and infuse a lasting desire to learn
- Develop and maintain student portfolios in accordance with school standards and philosophy
- Develop and use a variety of assessments that measure progress toward academic goals
- Plan and initiate field trips and extracurricular activities
- Attend staff and divisional meetings, workshops and conferences
Teachers at Arts & Sciences develop a culture where professional development is expected and embedded in the daily fabric of our school. Professional development includes large group presentations, grade level or team meetings, workshops, peer observations, team teaching, and offsite institutes and workshops.
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter, resume and a list of three references by Friday, Feb 8th, 2019 to:
Please make the subject line in your email Middle School Math and Science Teacher.
OR via postal mail by Monday, February 11th, 2019 to:
Santa Fe School for the Arts & Sciences
5912 Jaguar Drive
Santa Fe, NM 87507
To find out more information regarding Santa Fe School for the Arts & Sciences, please visit our website at www.santafeschool.org
Santa Fe School for the Arts & Sciences places a high value on creating a diverse faculty and staff that reflects
the cultural richness of our state, our country, and our world. The school is an equal opportunity employer and
makes all employment decisions, including those related to recruitment, hiring, training, promotion, and
recognition of individuals on the basis of their ability and job-related qualifications and without regard to race,
gender, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or any other classification proscribed under
applicable federal, state, or local law. Diversity among faculty and administration as well as among students is
actively sought. The school complies with the law regarding reasonable accommodations for employees with
disabilities. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation in order to participate in the application/interview
process are requested to contact the school in order to arrange such accommodation.
If you are interested in substitute teaching, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please make Substitute Teaching the subject line of your email.