Middle School History Teacher (Grades 7 & 8)
Santa Fe School for the Arts & Sciences, an EL Education school, is seeking an innovative, dynamic, collaborative middle school History/Humanities teacher with a strong background in teaching history, geography, and culture for the 2017-18 school year.
The successful candidate will understand the developmental needs of adolescents (ages 12-14) and combine her or his knowledge of history, geography and culture, with humor, energy, and a desire to inspire middle school students. He/she will model and promote the school’s character traits of compassion, courage, respect, trust, honesty and stewardship. Our school upholds the values of diversity and inclusivity and the successful candidate is able to create a safe and nurturing learning environment in which all students are respected. Additionally, the candidate must be flexible and an excellent communicator and collaborator.
Other important aspects of the position include:
- Teaming with colleagues to help further differentiate instruction, focusing on challenging, enriching, and supporting a diverse group of learners
- Acting as a caring and committed homeroom/Crew teacher
- Teach one elective class per semester that connects a teacher’s passion and the interest of our middle school students
About Our School
Santa Fe School for the Arts & Sciences is committed educational excellence, seeking to develop students who are recognized for superb academic performance and for their ability to work creatively with others to recognize and solve problems. Arts & Sciences students are compassionate, creative, and contributing members of the local community who exemplify the EL Education ideal of citizen scholars.
Located in the high desert mountains of Santa Fe, NM, Santa Fe School for the Arts & Sciences is well connected to our surrounding community and environment. Santa Fe is rich in its diversity, culture, and history, which provides many opportunities for students to build relationships with experts and organizations outside of our school. Our spacious campus has many opportunities for outdoor learning and constant collaboration among age groups and faculty.
Qualifications and Attributes
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Social Sciences Education, or related field
- Experience working with Middle School students as a history teacher or related subject area
- A passion for the social sciences
- Understanding of learning styles and differentiated instruction
- Ability to design hands-on, experiential learning activities that advance learning and present real-life opportunities
- Ability to work with technology to support, supplement and enhance teaching and learning
- Affinity and enthusiasm for working with adolescents
- Excellent communication skills
- Capacity to inspire others
- Strong work ethic
- Willingness to learn and improve professionally
- Sound judgment and emotional maturity
- Ability to collaborate and work with a team
- Willingness to engage in all aspects of the Arts & Sciences community
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop curriculum and activities that are aligned with the school’s academic standards, mission, and vision
- Create, maintain and promote a safe, nurturing learning environment that responds to students’ academic, social, and emotional growth
- Maintain and communicate high academic and personal expectations for all students
- Incorporate direct instruction, discussion, projects, and cooperative work to engage all students, keep classes focused, and infuse a lasting desire to learn
- Develop and maintain student portfolios in accordance with school standards and philosophy
- Develop and use a variety of assessments that measure progress toward academic goal
- Communicate effectively, clearly, and respectfully with students, families, and colleagues
- Plan and initiate field trips and extracurricular activities
- Attend staff and divisional meetings, workshops and conferences
Teachers at Arts & Sciences develop a culture where professional development is expected and embedded in the daily fabric of our school. Professional development includes large group presentations, grade level or team meetings, workshops, peer observations, team teaching, and offsite institutes and workshops.
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter, resume and, a list of three references to email@example.com. or via postal mail by Monday, May 1st 2017. Please make the subject line in your email Middle School History Teacher.
Santa Fe School for the Arts & Sciences
5912 Jaguar Drive
Santa Fe, NM 87507
Santa Fe School for the Arts & Sciences places a high value on creating a diverse faculty and staff that reflects the cultural richness of our state, our country, and our world. The school is an equal opportunity employer and makes all employment decisions, including those related to recruitment, hiring, training, promotion, and recognition of individuals on the basis of their ability and job related qualifications and without regard to race, gender, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or any other classification proscribed under applicable federal, state, or local law. Diversity among faculty and administration as well as among students is actively sought. The school complies with the law regarding reasonable accommodations for employees with disabilities. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation in order to participate in the application/interview process are requested to contact the school in order to arrange such accommodation.
If you are interested in substitute teaching, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please make Substitute Teaching the subject line of your